We all have those things about our skin that just drive us crazy! We wake up in the morning and see dark bags and circles under our eyes, making it look like we haven’t slept in days. Or, our lips are dry and chapped looking nothing like the luscious lips featured on the cover of Glamour. Then there’s the infamous, “Oh no, where did this huge pimple come from?!” Below is a list of morning maddening beauty blunders, and the simplest ways to fix them.
Bags Under the Eyes
Yes, we all know we need more beauty sleep and a better diet… but besides a relaxing vacation without the kids where 10am mornings are the norm, what else can make bags under your eyes go away?
- Step 1. Before bed, place 2 caffeinated tea bags into the refrigerator.
- Step 2. In the morning, remove the tea bags and dampen them slightly with cold water.
- Step 3. Lie down, close your eyes, and place the cool dampened tea bags over your eyes for about 10 minutes. (The caffeine will be an instant pick-me-up for tired eyes, while the tannin contained in the tea leaves reduces swelling and discoloration.)
Dry Chapped Lips
The kissable lips we all want are only a few short steps away!
- Step 1. Do not lick your lips. Though it may feel good at the time, when you lick your lips, the saliva evaporates leaving your lips even drier than they were before.
- Step 2. Exfoliate. Mix together a dime size amount of Vaseline with a pinch of sugar and apply to your lips with a q-tip, then gently rub your toothbrush over your lips for exfoliation.
- Step 3. Moisturize. Use a petroleum-based ointment like Vaseline or Aquaphor to seal in moisture. (We offer a product by gloMinerals called Barrier Balm that works as the ultimate lip balm, and can also be used as a moisturizer for ultra-dry skin.)
- Step 4. Lipstick. Mix blush into your Vaseline for an ultra-hydrating lipstick. Stay away from long lasting lipsticks as they are usually very drying.
Ugh! Pimples always seem to know when we have a big event coming up, then boom, there it is, out of nowhere for all to see. But don’t panic, we have a remedy that should have it gone by morning!
- Step 1. Don’t pop it. Resist the urge because just like your Momma told you when you were younger, popping it will only make things worse.
- Step 2. Apply tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is both anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial.
- Step 3. Crush an aspirin and mix it into a small amount of water, then apply this paste to the pimple for 30 seconds. Use a little pressure and press the mixture gently against the pimple.
- Step 4. Apply a small amount of toothpaste to the pimple. (Not the gel kind, but actual paste.) Cover with a Band-Aid and leave on overnight while you sleep.
Cold sores are embarrassing and painful. We want to hide them, and have them vanish as quickly as possible.
- Step 1. See your doctor at the first sign of burning. Dr. Patel usually prescribes Valtrex or Zovirx which can drastically shorten the life of a cold sore, or even keep it from becoming a cold sore, if caught early.
- Step 2. Apply a cream (not liquid) concealer with a yellow tint. The yellow will help neutralize any redness.
- Step 3. Lightly dust on finishing powder.
- Step 4. Apply a cream (not liquid) concealer that matches your skin tone.
- Step 5. Seal with a light dusting of finishing powder.
With winter around the corner, many of us start to dread the dry, flaky skin that accompanies it. Here are a few simple steps that will help keep your skin feeling hydrated and refreshed.
- Step 1. Wash your face with a hydrating milk cleanser.
- Step 2. Apply moisturizer while your face is still damp.
- Step 3. Let the moisturizer soak in for 30 seconds before applying your makeup.
If possible avoid using powder makeup. Winter is a great time to switch to a tinted moisturizer to keep your skin from looking dry and aged. Chemical peels are also one of the best methods to fighting dry skin.
Fine Lines Around the Eyes
The key to keeping fine lines from appearing around your eyes is to keep them hydrated.
- Step 1. Apply a vitamin C serum which helps increase hydration, brightens the skin and improves collagen production.
- Step 2. Apply eye cream under, and over, your makeup to keep the eye area hydrated.
- Step 3. Avoid squinting. Any time you are in the sun, wear sunglasses that offer UVA and UVB protection.
- Step 4. At night, remove your makeup with a hydrating milk cleanser, then apply your eye cream once again, never leaving this delicate skin without hydration.
The key to staying young is keeping your skin exfoliated, hydrated and protected from the sun. Almost all the skin conditions can be solved by these three simple steps. For more information on these tip and more, call to schedule an hour long consultation completely free!